Last year, during 6th Polish Citrix User Group Meeting in Cracow I had a presentation titled “Complete Citrix environment monitoring“.
I know, that good and complete environment monitoring (both infrastructure and application layer) is a hard to achieve.
I decided to build it in my environment. My sources were: performance counters (windows perfmon), event logs and PowerShell scripts. For data collecting and presentation I used Splunk. I will not try to convince you, that Splunk is better then other similar software (ie. ELK – Elasticsearch). It’s our main monitoring platform and this is the reason why I used it.
I split this post to smaller parts:
- The first one will be data collection – what data (counters, logs, etc.) I’m gathering from my servers.
- In the rest I will present Splunk SPL (Search Processing Language) queries to present analysis results. I will also include Splunk dashboards definitions.
All scripts are stored in my GitHub repo.
- Collecting data – Windows metrics
- Collecting data – Powershell scripts
- Presenting data – Window metrics dashboard
If you think, that such monitoring is cool and useful, but you don’t know how to do this by your own. Or you don’t have enough time to to this, please contact me. I can consult it with you.